Sunday, November 14, 2010

Julius Caesar: Fall of the Roman Republic

Introduction:  Julius Caesar very famous in history.  His is the inspiration for Little Caesar’s Pizza, Caesar salads and Caesar's Place in Las Vegas.  In the year 46 BC he came to power as a dictator.

Question: So, what were you before a dictator?

Answer:  In 48 BC I went to battle against Pompey, my rival general.  Pompey and I had been colleagues, but he turned against me and turned the Senate against me too.  The Senate declared me an enemy and demanded for me to step down from my position as general, but I chose otherwise.  Instead of stepping down, I used my loyal soldiers and crossed the Rubicon River.  This was a bold action because in that time the river marked the boundary between my province and Italy.  It was a crime against the state, but I wasn't willing to give up all of my hard work because the Senate had declared me an enemy.  My troops crossed the river and in 49 BC the Civil War between Pompey and I began.  I won in Pharsalus, Greece.  After I won I took part of Asia

Question:  Did you ever return to Rome?

Answer: I returned to Rome in 46 BC and demanded that the Senate make me a dictator.  My people loved me because I reconstructed the government and made decisions for the people. 

Question:  What was your greatest accomplishment?

Answer:  My greatest accomplishment was probably the Julian Calendar, in which has been used to this day.

Question:  Is it true that you and Cleopatra had a love affair?

Answer:  Yes, it is.  This led Egypt to be my ally in times of conquest.  The Egyptians assassinated Pompey.

Epilogue:  Julius Caesar was late assassinated on   
March 14, 44BC by senate members.  This led to a 13 year was and the downfall of Rome.
http://www.desitin.se/images/JuliusCaesar.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment