Sunday, November 14, 2010

Alexander the Great

Introduction:  Today we interview one of the most famous conquerors of all time.  He was important enough to make 33 on Michael Hart's list of top 100 most influential persons.  Introducing: Alexander the Great

Question:  Alexander the Great, the first question on everyone's mind is why were you called "Alexander the Great", and not just Alexander?

Answer:  Well to answer that question, you have to go further back into my history.  You have to start at the very beginning of my story.  What's unique about my story is that my family had already been rich and successful before I accomplished anything.  My lifestyle had already been chosen before I was born by my father; Philip of Macedon. 

Question:  You say your father chose your lifestyle.  What do you mean by that?

Answer:  My father, Phillip, lived from 359-336 B.C. and is best known for uniting Macedonia.  He had a powerful and skilled army that also conquered Greece.  He left a great inheritance when he died shortly after his conquests.  I already had money and stability, but I also had a large job to do; to rule the land that my father had conquered.  As a boy my father made sure I had the best education.  He had scholars come in to teach me about philosophy and my father himself taught me warfare and politics. 

Question:  There are nasty rumors going around that your mother, Olympia, arranged the assassination of your father so you could rule sooner.  What is your perspective on this?

Answer:  I believe that there are rumors about all large political figures.  Whether this one is true or not is my mother's business.  I was young when my father was murdered and I don't believe that my mother was responsible.  She told me I was the son of Zeus, not Philip.  Regardless I was crowned ruler and my father died. 

Question:  Your army helped you a great deal, did it not?

Answer:  With my father's death, he left me three things; gold, Greece and most importantly the strongest army in the 4th century.  My new army was different from any other.  Instead of the traditional three lines to fight battle, I had a unit that could respond to flags signals and trumpet calls, taking orders and being able to move at my will in different formations.  I had a strong navy, Cretan archers, and a great cavalry that no one could match.  My men were my strength and I treated them with great respect.  I lead them in all battles and we won all battles.  We never lost and I was invincible.  My enemies feared me more than any other being.

Question:  You had major conquests in Asia.  Tell me about them.

Answer:  I set out in spring of 334 to conquer Asia.  I first went to Troy to gain allies and recruits.  Next I encountered my first major battle at the Granicus River.  I won the battle and moved on to the city of Gordium.  In this city there was said to be a knot that only the true conqueror of Asia could loosen.  I tried for a while to untie the knot, but there weren't any loose ends showing so I simply cut through it with my sword.  I doing so I became the one prophesized to conquer Asia, but I first had to get past the Persian army.  They came between me and the sea in the mountains.  It was a town called Issus and they were on the other side of the Pinarus River.  I decided to go straight for King Darius.  When I did this he fled and his collapsed.  Winning this battle showed me and everyone else that I could become the King of Darius' land and my own current land.  I finally defeated them at Arbela in 331 BCE. 

Question:  What did the Egyptians think of you?

Answer:  The Egyptians were happy to be rid of the Persians.  They had forced their culture and gods on Egypt and I restored their culture.  They eventually made me a Pharaoh and a god.  I began to question whether I was a god.  I am charming, never lost a battle, rich and adored by everyone.  But I mostly wanted to accept their customs for an alliance and recruits to defeat the Persians. 

Question:  What nations did you conquer?

Answer:  I conquered the Achaemenid Persian Empire, Syria, Phoenicia, Judea, Gaza, Egypt, Bactria and Mesopotamia. I also extended the boundaries of my own empire as far as Punjab, India.

Epilogue:  Alexander the Great lived from 356 BCE to 323 BCE.  He died at the age of 32 and is known as the most successful conqueror of Greece and a prominent member of history.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451586c69e2011570b0e6f6970c-320wi

No comments:

Post a Comment