Sunday, November 14, 2010

Constantine the Great

Introduction: Today we interview Constantine the Great.  He was born on 27 February AD 272 in Naissus.

Question: When were you Emperor?

Answer: I was the Emperor in 312 BC.
Question: What were your religious views?

Answer: I, personally, have been Christian since I was 30.  This made me the supreme ruler of France.  I do believe, however, that everyone is entitled to their own religious beliefs.  I support freedom of worship.  I made Christianity legal in 313 AD.  This conversion helped me with Christian allies. 

Question: What was your greatest accomplishment?

Answer: My greatest accomplishment was the creation of Constantinople in 330AD.  This is the city I made the capital during my reign as Emperor.  Constantinople was the center of trade for centuries. It commanded key trade routes and was the busiest market place.

Question:  What goods were traded at Constantinople?

Answer:  We received goods from many different ports.  We traded silks from China, wheat from Egypt, gems from India, spices from Southeast Asia, and furs from the lands of the Vikings.

Question: What was the downfall of Constantinople?

Answer:  Constantinople's decline started when the Fourth Crusades sacked Constantinople.  They brought extensive damage to the city. The Crusaders blocked the city with ships and stole its riches with force.  Men blinded by their greed didn't think to spare the sanity of the men and woman living in the city.  They took everything worth taking, sparing only the lives of some citizens.  They real end of Constantinople was when the Ottoman Turks took the city in 1453.  They later renamed my great city Istanbul.

No comments:

Post a Comment